This is a developing story and details may change as we learn more about this situation. This story was updated on June 17 at 5:30 p.m.

Four people have died, including the suspected shooter and Minneapolis Police Department Officer Jamal Mitchell and others injured in a chaotic scene that spanned a block of Blaisdell Avenue in Whittier on May 30.

According to police statements, Mitchell was killed as police officers responded to a reported double shooting in an apartment building near 22nd Street and Blaisdell Avenue. Mitchell was shot multiple times outside of 2109 Blaisdell Ave., according to the Hennepin Medical Examiner. He died at HCMC’s emergency room at 5:50 p.m.

Mustafa Ahmed Mohamed, the suspect shooter, died of multiple gun shot wounds also outside of 2109 Blaisdell Avenue. The Medical Examiner did not give a time of death for Mitchell but he died at the scene. Mohamed himself was shot by someone during the 2221 Blaisdell Ave. shooting, but that shooter has not been identified by the BCA. The BCA identified Minneapolis Police Department officers Nick Kapinos and Luke Kittock as the officers who shot Mohamed after Mohamed began shooting at the officers and had already shot Mitchell.

Osman Said Jimale, a 32-year-old man, died of multiple gunshot wounds inside an apartment at 2221 Blaisdell Ave. No time of death was given. According to police statements, another man was found shot "gravely injured" in the same apartment. Jimale was transported to HCMC and is still hospitalized for his injuries.

Mohamed Bashir Aden, a 36-year-old man, was shot multiple times inside 2221 Blaisdell Ave. and died of his injuries on June 7.

Police also found Alexander G. Hage shot in his vehicle on Blaisdell Avenue and was transported to HCMC where he remains hospitalized. According to Ward 7 Councilmember Katie Cashman’s statement on May 31, a Minneapolis firefighter received “a non-life-threatening injury during the incident” and had already been released from the hospital.

Hage, a bystander, was shot in his car during the shooting at the apartment building, according to the Star Tribune. Mitchell spotted Hage nearby Mohamed on the 2100 block of Blaisdell Avenue, according to the BCA. To account for the location differences, a witness account posted on X said they saw the injured person in the car drive a block away once he realized no one was coming to help him.

Police barricade First Avenue at Franklin Avenue on May 30, a few blocks east of the shooting. The area was clear as of 8 a.m. on May 31. Photo by Anna Koenning

“This is a terrible day, and it’s happening far too often. Something needs to change,” Drew Evans of the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension said last night during a press conference at HCMC.

A brief timeline

After a report of a double shooting in the apartment building at 2221 Blaisdell Ave., dozens of police vehicles and multiple ambulances began responding to the area around 5:20 p.m. on Thursday, per MPR News.

Gunshots were reported as early as 5:23 p.m.

Around 6 p.m., an “active incident” alert went out, asking people to avoid the area of 22nd and Blaisdell. The 2215 Blaisdell apartment building was also cleared by the Minneapolis Police Department, to the anger of some residents.

At 7:45 p.m., Jon Collins at MPR News posted a video of a SWAT Team approaching the Blaisdell apartment buildings.

By 8:30 p.m., Melody and Anna of Southwest Voices were at the outskirts of the scene.

The City of Minneapolis held a press conference Thursday night at 10 p.m. Mayor Jacob Frey called the situation part of the “gun epidemic.”

The Star Tribune has additional details from the scene of shooting, including witness statements.

Additional reporting by H. Jiahong Pan and Anna Koenning